Costa Rica 202: the Faroleada in Barrio Escalante and the Parades in Parque de la Libertad
This weekend, Costa Rica dresses up to commemorate September 15, the country’s Independence Day. In honor of 198 years of independent life, various cultural activities will take place. Two outstanding events for this September 14 are the “Faroleada en Escalante” in the Escalante neighborhood of San José and the parades in the Parque de la Libertad in Desamparados.
Faroleada in Escalante, San José.
The Museo Rafael Ángel Calderón Guardia joins the residents, merchants and visitors of Barrio Escalante to celebrate the independence of Costa Rica with the “Faroleada en Escalante”. The event is a collaboration between the Museum and the Municipality of San José.
This activity will take place on Saturday, September 14 at 5:30 p.m. at the Museum. Here, typical music and dances will be performed, as well as the singing of the National Anthem. At 6:15 p.m., the lantern parade will begin, in which both children and adults can participate. The route covers the streets of Barrio Escalante, culminating at Parque Francia, where the festivities continue.
Parque de la Libertad, Desamparados.
Parque La Libertad, in Patarrá, joins the patriotic celebration with two activities:
Faroles Parade: On September 14, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., the park will host a lantern parade in which the schools Ciudadela de Fátima, Francisco Gamboa de Río Azul and Linda Vista public school will participate. It will be an opportunity to appreciate the creativity and festive spirit of the community.
Independence Parade: On Sunday, September 15, from 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., a special parade will be held with the participation of students from the Francisco Gamboa schools in Rio Azul and Linda Vista. This will be an occasion to reflect on Costa Rican history and identity while celebrating the nation’s independence.
Besides the events in Barrio Escalante and Parque de la Libertad, there are many other ways to join the patriotic celebration:
- On Saturday, September 14, the Cartago Concert Band will offer a concert at 4 p.m. at the Municipal Museum (former Cartago barracks), followed by the interpretation of the National Anthem at 6 p.m.
- On Sunday, September 15, the San José Concert Band will perform the Official Government Act and Independence Celebration at 8 a.m. at the National Park.
- In Ciudad Colon, the Mora Fair for the World will be held from September 13 to 22 with handicrafts, music, dances, movies and traditional games in downtown Ciudad Colon.
- On September 14, the Alajuela Concert Band will offer a concert at 6 p.m. at the Juan Santamaría Park, followed by the performance of the National Anthem.
- Saturday, September 14, the Heredia Concert Band will play at 6 p.m. in the central park as part of a civic act that will include the National Anthem.
- On Sunday, September 15, the Alajuela Concert Band will participate in a civic act of Independence at 7:30 a.m. in the Juan Santamaría Park.